Mark Anthony Volpe is a character in the Grand Theft Auto series, mentioned in the LCPD Database in Grand Theft Auto IV.
Mark Volpe is a caporegime for the Messina Family along with his brother, Fredo Volpe, the latter of whom has been a police informant since 1998, though many suspect Mark of being the rat. Mark was unaware of his brother’s activities and had once sliced off a family enforcer’s tongue for suspecting his brother of being a rat. Mark owns several sports betting rings in the boroughs of Liberty City, and is a dedicated mobster. By 2008 his status on the LCPD database is listed as “missing” however his ultimate status is unknown.
LCPD Database Record
First Name: Mark Anthony
Place of Birth: Dukes, Liberty City
Affiliations: Messina Crime Family
- 1982 – Murder
- 1993 – Extortion
- 1994 – Manslaughter
- 1995 – Assault
- 1996 – Manslaughter
- 1998 – Promoting Gambling
- 2000 – Promoting Gambling
- 2005 – Manslaughter
- Suspected by fellow members of the Messina Crime Syndicate of being a rat when is brother, Fredo Volpe, is actually the police informant.
- Suspected to be in charge of a sports betting ring that operates throughout the four Liberty City Boroughs; however, he only takes bets on rigged games.
- Believed to have cut out the tongue of a Messina enforcer for suggesting that his brother was an informant.
- Enough wiretap evidence to put him in prison for 12 years.
- n real life the Volpe brothers were racketeers from Turtle Creek Valley, Pittsburgh who had ties to the Pittsburgh crime family during the Prohibition era.
- It is possible that he and his brother are based on cousins Frank and Edward Lino who were both Capos in the Mafia, one of which (Frank Lino) turned informant against Bonnano boss Joe Massino in 2006.
- On the LCPD Database it says missing on his profile so it is possible he was killed by Harvey Noto.